Following on from an amazing ‘Encountering Corpses’ day symposium held in 2014 we organised another event in 2016!
When: Saturday 19th March 2016
We discussed the dead body in relation to the mobilities and economies of their parts.
Our first panel discussed organ donation, organ trafficking and how medical students interact with donated corpses. Our plenary advocated public access to human remains for education and emotional edification. Finally, we addressed encounters with corpses in terms of cultural and subcultural practices: the dead bodies on Everest and how these relate to the culture of mountaineering, the concentration in contemporary media on the physicality of the celebrity dead body in the immediate minutes, hours and days after death, and the historical and contemporary practices around the preservation of tattooed human skin.
Encountering Corpses II was held in the spectacular environs of the Manchester Crematorium Old Chapel (constructed 1892).
9am – Coach pick up from city centre
9.40am – Arrival Manchester Crematorium
10.00am – Introduction – Prof. Craig Young (MMU)
10.15am – Panel One: Medical Encounters – Organ trafficking, donation and use by medical students.
- Dr John Troyer (Centre for Death and Society, University of Bath)
- Dr Julie Seymour (Hull York Medical School)
- Dr Trish Green (Hull York Medical School)
12.30pm – Coach to Greater Manchester Police social centre, Hough End
12.45pm – Catered lunch (with police pathology talk/demo tbc)
1.45pm – Coach return to crematorium
2.00pm – Plenary – Carla Valentine (Barts Pathology Museum)
3.30pm – Break
3.45pm – Panel Two: (Sub) Cultural Encounters – Mountaineer corpses, celebrity bodies and preserved tattooed skins.
- Dr Jonathan Westaway (UCLAN)
- Dr Ruth Penfold-Mounce (University of York)
- Dr Gemma Angel (UCL)
5.15pm – Discussion time and closing remarks
5.30pm – Close
Coach back to town for approx. 6pm drop off
Download the full programme here:
Read a review of the event by Daniel Broadley on Humanity Hallows
Catch up on what was said around the web about Encountering Corpses II on our Storify.
Fridy 18th March
- Encountering Corpses ESRC Seminar Series event; ‘Dead Body Politics, Materialities and Mobilities‘ (MMU, No. 70 Oxford St)
- Evening screening of Earth Promised Sky – documentary about Bosnian conflict and human remains (MMU, No. 70 Oxford St)
Sunday 20th March
- Tour of Southern Cemetery with Emma Fox – Manchester Pop Culture