RGS-IBG Annual International Conference 2016, London, August 30-September 2, 2016
Session sponsorship: Social and Cultural Geography Research Group (SCGRG) and Geographies of Health and Wellbeing (GHWRG)
Session Conveners: Avril Maddrell (UWE), Charlotte Kenten (GOSH), Katie McClymont (UWE), Olivia Stevenson (Glasgow/UCL)
Building on a growing body of work on geographies of death, dying and remembrance (e.g. Evans 2014; Maddrell and Sidaway 2010; Stevenson et al 2016, Social and Cultural Geography), these sessions will explore the spatial dimensions of social, cultural, material and immaterial complexities of the nexus of human and non-human life-death, absence-presence, grieving-consolation.
Papers are invited from Geography, History, Planning, Design and related areas which are attentive to difference and diversity (Global South/ North, gender, class, ethnicity, sexuality, age) and address critically-engaged, theoretical, empirical and methodological issues, including:
- The physical, emotional, spiritual and virtual spaces and practices of living-dying, including life-shortening illnesses, suicide, survival, remembrance and consolation
- Discursive and material spaces and boundaries of grievability, including non-human loss
- Intersections of time-space in practices and performances of loss and resilience
- Inclusive and exclusive deathscapes and practices
- Policy and planning needs and responses in diverse and multicultural societies
- Research methodologies, ethics and researcher care and resilience
If you are interested in giving a paper, please submit a title and 200 word abstract for consideration to email@example.com by noon February 10th.